Every hour, your alarm system sends a signal to all of your sensors to ensure functionality and proper reporting, which is called a "roll call". If a sensor fails to send a response signal, a failure signal will be sent to your control panel and you'll see an alert or Malfunction in the Brinks Home™ App.
Common reasons a sensor will go into failure/malfunction are:
- The battery in the sensor is dead.
- The sensor is too far from the control panel. If the sensor exceeds 100 feet, then a malfunction may occur.
- There is something causing Radio Frequency (RF) interference near that sensor or near the control panel. Common wireless devices that cause interference include the following:
- Routers, telephones, gaming controllers, doorbells, large metallic objects such as refrigerators or large TVs, plaster walls with metal fiber, metal studs in the wall, or interior concrete walls.
- Change the sensor battery.
- Note: If you change the battery, be sure to securely replace the cover. If the cover is not properly aligned and snug, it will create a tamper error. Additionally, check to make sure the arrows on the sensors are lined up and there is no more than ¼ inch between the two when mounting.
- Perform a sensor test to attempt another roll call. See GC2/GC2e instructions in the next section.
- Survey the area for recent changes, such as new nearby electronics which may be causing interference.
- If the problem persists, you may need to replace the sensor as it is defective.
System Test Instructions
1. Press Security, then Menu.
2. Press Toolbox, then enter your master code.
3. Press System Test. GoControl will enter test mode.
4. Open the door and window sensors, and walk by motion detectors.
5. The GoControl beeps and shows signal strength if all sensors test successfully. Press OK for next steps.
6. Test the home button colors by pressing each test.
7. Press No or Yes. When finished, press the down arrow.
8. Test the emergency button by pressing each test listed, then press No or Yes.
9. Press Sounder Audio Test, then press No or Yes if the internal speaker sounds.
10. If all tests are successful, press Ok. Press Back to exit.