Simon XT—Sensor Malfunction
Every hour, your alarm system sends a signal to all of your sensors to ensure functionality and proper reporting, which is called a "roll call". If a sensor fails to send a response signal, a failure signal will be sent to your control panel and you'll see an alert or Malfunction in the Brinks Home™ App.
Common reasons a sensor will go into failure/malfunction are:
- The battery in the sensor is dead.
- The sensor is too far from the control panel. If the sensor exceeds 100 feet, then a malfunction may occur.
- There is something causing Radio Frequency (RF) interference near that sensor or near the control panel. Common wireless devices that cause interference include the following:
- Routers, telephones, gaming controllers, doorbells, large metallic objects such as refrigerators or large TVs, plaster walls with metal fiber, metal studs in the wall, or interior concrete walls.
- Change the sensor battery.
- Note: If you change the battery, be sure to securely replace the cover. If the cover is not properly aligned and snug, it will create a tamper error. Additionally, check to make sure the arrows on the sensors are lined up and there is no more than ¼ inch between the two when mounting.
- Perform a sensor test to attempt another roll call. See Simon XT panel instructions in the next section.
- Survey the area for recent changes, such as new nearby electronics which may be causing interference.
- If the problem persists, you may need to replace the sensor as it is defective.
Sensor Test Step-by-Step Instructions:
- When you panel is in a disarmed state, press the down arrow to scroll to Sensor Tests, then press OK.
- Enter your master code, then press OK.
- Open doors and windows, walk by motion detector, or press keyfob button.
- • Open and close door or window sensors
- • Press any button on your keyfobs
- • Walk in front of motion detectors, or trigger manually by removing the cover
- • Hold the test button on your smoke or heat detectors
- • Hold the test button on your carbon monoxide detector
- • Open the cover on any flood or glassbreak detector to trigger the sensor
- The Simon XT beeps up to 8 times indicating the signal strength as follows:
- • 1 to 3 beeps = Poor
- • 4 to 5 beeps = Marginal
- • 6 to 8 beeps = Excellent
- The sensor test ends when all sensors are tested or by pressing Status.